What is Polyester-8?
Q.) What is Polyester-8?
A.) Polyester-8 is a photostabilizer that enhances SPF that we added to the Nutrient Day Cream SPF 30 and Nutrient Day Cream Tinted SPF 30 formulas in early 2021. We celebrate this innovative green, sustainably produced ingredient that improves the performance of our sunscreen.
The sun degrades active ingredients in SPF quickly. This photostabilizing ingredient used in a low concentration protects the stability of the sunscreen active making a safer and more effective product.
In addition, polyester-8 also contains hydrating and moisturizing abilities and enhances the water resistance of sunscreens.
This ingredient is benign to the environment and degrades quickly. Via supplier SDS: The mean cumulative CO2 production by mixtures containing Polyester 8 was equivalent to 10% of the theoretical (TCO2) after 12 days, 57% by Day 28 and 65% by the end of the test on Day 29. Polyester 8 is considered readily biodegradable under the conditions of this test.
1. California Proposition 65: This product does not contain any Proposition 65 chemicals. Website: https://oehha.ca.gov/
2. Toxicology Profile: Genotoxicity: Not genotoxic
- Ocular Irritation Potential (HET-CAM) Test: Slight irritation potential
- Phototoxicity: Not phototoxic
- Repeat Insult Patch Test (Human): Not irritating to skin
- Sensitization: Not sensitizing
3. "This product, as supplied, does not contain any hazardous materials with occupational exposure limits established by the region specific regulatory bodies".
4. Section 313 of Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (SARA). This product does not contain any chemicals which are subject to the reporting requirements of the Act and Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 372.
5. EU Cosmetic Regulation: This product is in compliance with the European Cosmetic Regulation (EC) 1223/2009 and its amendments and does not contain the substances listed in Annex II, nor substances in Annex III except as subject to the restrictions laid down by the Regulation. This ingredient is being used for sunscreens in the ASEAN, Australia, Canada, EU, Japan, Korea, MERCOSUR, New Zealand, Philippines, Taiwan and USA markets.
Polymers and the Environment January 23rd 2013
Environmental Sciences Europe
volume 33, Article number: 21 (2021)